Sunday, June 12, 2011

Baby food

I'm kinda really proud of myself at the moment. There have been so many things that I said I would do either being pregnant or being a parent before being a parent and not doing (does that sentence make any sense?). For example...I thought I would never have an epidural (I held my ground on that idea for maybe one hour into labor before breaking down and getting the epidural), I thought I would use cloth diapers (that idea actually never even got experimented with!), and the best yet was that I thought life would just continue on as usual after having Brody. HA! I crack myself up! But I also did say that I wanted to make Brod's baby food, lo and behold....I have accomplished it! :)
I experimented with some frozen peas earlier in the week. I can't believe I didn't pull the camera out for that. Brod, I think, really hates peas. He brought himself to gagging the second day of giving them to him. We will push though though :)
Mike, B and I headed to the Farmer's Market on Saturday to test our luck on other veggies. We aren't huge veggie people. We will do a salad, some carrots and maybe some frozen mixed veggies with dinner but just pretty basic. So going to the market looking for veggies was a bit overwhelming. Especially when we had no clue what things look like. We knew we wanted some squash and sweet potatoes but didn't know what they looked like. So we got up to a vendor and would just say what we wanted. I think sweet potatoes aren't in season because they would just stare at us and hand us only squash. So we walked away with carrots and squash.
Lots of phone calls were placed that day as I had no clue what to do with a squash I just read it was good for babies. I couldn't believe you cook it with the skin on! But I trusted those I spoke with. Sadly before this week I really didn't even know how to steam veggies. Well with my new steamer basket, I've found it to be kinda fun :)
 I've been debating over getting a food processor or simply using my blender. I think I may stay the cheaper route and continue using my blender. Once the veggies are steamed, I pop them into the blender, pour a bit of breast milk, and puree like crazy!
 Another discovery this week.....Cheap ice cube trays are cheap ice cube trays! Always go for the higher price ones as they work much better. Well I guess I'm not sure on that I just know anything has got to be easier than my 3 for $1.27 ice cube tray purchase purchase. The plastic doesn't bend easy when trying to pop out the cubes
As of now I have weeks worth of peas, carrots and squash ready for the Brodster. Tomorrow we will begin our squash journey. I hope he likes that more than peas ;) Out of all three squash has been my favorite, I can't get Mike to try any!

1 comment:

  1. Good job making Brody's food! Georgiana HATED mashed peas, but now that she can eat more solid solids, whole peas are one of her absolute favs! Maybe that will be the same for Brody too... Mashed peas kind of smell gross, so I can't blame the babies :)

    ReplyDelete

Our dude is seven!

Yes, it always seems so cliché....but, how is our 3rd child SEVEN!?  Our Parks man is just the coolest! Mike described him so great; he'...