Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Trusting Him

I’m not one to worry about the weather. I’ve grown up hearing my Grandparent’s along with my mom and dad’s stories of the tornadoes they were in throughout their lives.  In college (I think or high school) a tornado touched down not even a mile from our house, it just missed us leaving only small debre in our yard. I’ve honestly just never been afraid. In fact I find the weather exciting. When the sirens go off most times that means in my head “Lets go outside and see what is going on”. Anyone else reading this from the Midwest don’t judge me, you do it also! :) However, over this last week the Lord has definitely been testing my faith.
Joplin Missouri is only about 2 hours from here and the devastation is just incredible. I have a few friends who’s family live there and lots of them are either dead, homeless or still missing. It’s some of the saddest conversations I’ve ever had with anyone. The part that has bothered me the most is how the hospital in that city was torn apart. I know tornadoes can do whatever they please but I honestly never thought they would take out a hospital I guess. We practice "Code Grey" at the hospital often (it's called when tornado warnings go into play) but really, who really thinks actual damage will be done. The hospital that was hit is one of our sister hospitals and the stories we keep hearing are horrific! All I keep thinking about is how I would ever be able to stay in nurse mode working, not able to go home and be with my family. As I try to wrap my brain around that sole thought the Lord continually has been asking me, "How much do you trust me? Where is your faith?" It was so easy to trust when it was just Mike and me, but now with Brody, it's a whole nother story. God promises to take care of us, I know that. If that means on this earth or with Him, because we have a relationship with Him, we will be fine. I can only do so much to protect my son, ultimately he is the Lord's and I have to remember that. I need to stop worrying and begin clinging to His words, "May the God of hope fill you with joy and PEACE as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."
All this to say, last night there was more bad weather. Again Mike needed to keep reminding me that I had to trust the Lord. The sirens went off and for the first time I think in my life we took shelter. Mike, Brod, Gunner, Trig and I crammed into our bathroom (it's the center most room in our home)  and waited out the storm for about 30 minutes. The storm passed and we were fine :) Thank you Jesus! I do wish I would have snapped a picture of all of us. I still don't know how we crammed into the bathtub. Also earlier this week Mike and I developed an emergency plan involving a family contact person in Iowa and a place to meet if Mike and I were separated. Hopefully we will never need this plan...but we are ready! :)
Finally below is some pics we had taken while we were in Iowa last month with my sweet niece and nephew. Enjoy :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Our dude is seven!

Yes, it always seems so cliché....but, how is our 3rd child SEVEN!?  Our Parks man is just the coolest! Mike described him so great; he'...